Saturday, June 12, 2010

I AM PROUD!

Curators would understand why the framed original painting of Confeccion de la Standarte Nacional (Making of the Philippine Flag) by Fernando Amorsolo would shout at me in this picture, "Touch me not!"
But I dared to connect myself to the symbol of our country. I'm proud Filipino. Proud Visayan. And proud Inopacnon!Yes, let me say again - I'm proud that I'm one of you!.


 
Today is June 12, the commemoration of Philippine Independence Day from Spanish colonization.


Last December 2009, I got this rare opportunity to stand next to the original Fernando Amorsolo's painting depicting the historical making of the Philippine flag in Hong Kong (so it's made from Hong Kong like most of surplus wares and items sold in the market). This frame hangs behind the desk of COB-CEO Vicente R. Ayllón in the 30th Level of Insular Life Corporate Centre (ILCC) in Filinvest Corporate City in Alabang.


----------------------
The following are excerpts from the Philippine Star's feature article in Arts and Culture on December 01, 2008:

“Did you know that during the post-war period, Insular Life commissioned Fernando Amorsolo to create a series of paintings of historical events to be put in our offices (and which were subsequently used in Insular Life calendars from the late ’50s to the ’80s) — and we paid him P1,000 each?” says the very amiable Ayllón, whose knowledge of Philippine art is astounding. “I was sent by Fernando Zobel to talk to Amorsolo and he was a very nice person. So soft-spoken.”

"Ayllón points to a painting behind his desk that highlights the chairman’s office: “Confeccion de la Standarte Nacional (Making of the Philippine Flag).” “We bought that for just a thousand pesos, would you believe?” says an amazed Ayllón. “The value of that painting now is much, much more.”

"In the painting, three women (symbolic of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao) are sewing the Filipino flag, laden with history and the proud fruit of revolutions and revaluation. An essential visual document. A national treasure. Something inarguably priceless."


















Edgie Polistico with Mr. Vicente "Ting" R. Ayllón, the Chairman of the Board (COB) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Insular Life

MAIN PAGE: INOPACAN, LEYTE and the Inopacnons



MABUHI ANG INOPACAN! MABUHI ANG INOPACNON!
DALI KAMO! DUAW KAMO!
.

1 comment:

  1. My mother is also an Inopacnon. I'm also proud to be one, although I grew up in Manila but my heart belongs to Inopacan. You know what? Me and my husband are dreaming to live there, someday. May the Lord grant this. I'm proud of you for being true and loving to your hometown. Continue
    to share us your experiences in life and may you
    succeed more. I admire the painting of Fernando Amorsolo but I admire most the beauty of
    Digyo Island.

    ReplyDelete

FEATURED POST

Finding the true origin of Inopacan

The photo is not mine. Photo courtesy of National Geographic. See the original photo and story here . (Disclaimer: This was not taken in Ino...

HELP ME

HELP ME
This will help me research more about our home town and of stories and history and of other notable things that include about us, Inopacnons. Thank you for your kindness.